The most excellent way
Live in light of eternity. Live in light of reality. For faith, hope and love all remain.
- Love’s importance (v1-3)
- Love is… (v4-7)
- Love never ends (v8-13)
To listen to Mark Ventham preaching at Christ Church on Sunday morning 19th June 2015 use the player above..
Questions for discussion in Community Groups
1. How does Paul demonstrate the importance of love in the first three verses? How does it fit the context of chapters 12 & 14?
2. What gifts might we desire, or think of as more important than love in the life of Christ Church? What would Paul say to us and why?
3. Take each of the statements that Paul says about love:
- Love is Patient, Love is kind
- It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud
- Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs
- Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth
- It always protects, always trust, always hopes, aways perseveres
3a. What do each mean?
3b. How were the Corinthians failing in each area? (Try to recall examples from the letter)
3c. Can you think of examples where Jesus in his life fits these statements? (Be specific!)
3d. What would it look like to love people specifically in this way in Christ Church? (it might help to think of the ways in which the Corinthians were not loving – impatient, unkind – not waiting for people to eat etc.)
3e. Why do we find it so hard? How can we help one another to love as Christ calls us to?
4. Some might say to love in this way is gullible, naive even – what would you say to such a person?
5. What seems to be Paul’s argument in v8-13? (Gifts are transient, but Love is not)
6. What are the two possible options for understanding v10 when perfection comes? What questions does each view raise? How do v11 & 12 help our understanding?
7. How is it that faith, hope and love remain? What does that mean?
8. If Love never ends and is part of our perfection, maturity – how should this shape the way we live now, what will it practically mean in relation to gifts?
9. How will you grow in your love towards others this week? What struggles might you have to overcome?
Spend some time praying about your response.
Series: 1 Corinthians (2015)