The ageing Samuel is making some bad decisions about his sons but the people are restless for a king for their future security. They don’t ask God about it, they just demand it and refuse to listen to the warnings.
To listen to Graham Nicholls preaching from 1 Samuel 8 at Christ Church on Sunday morning 4th August 2013 use the link below.
Below are the questions for community groups
1. Was there anything you didn’t understand about the meaning of the bible text or about the way it was applied to the Christian life?
2. What can we learn from the situation with Samuel’s sons? What it just the same situation as Eil’s sons?
3. What was wrong with the Israelites demanding a king? (There’s more than one reason)!
4. In what ways do you sometimes take things into your own hands because God doesn’t seem to be acting quickly enough?
5. What would be signs that we are starting to refuse to listen to God’s word? How are you doing at giving and receiving godly advice?
6. How can we be like the Israelites in wanting security by conformity? Do you feel the desire to conform to the people around you? How does this show itself?
7. What do we learn from the Lord seemingly “giving in” to their request for a king?[/box]
Series: 1 Samuel (2013)