To watch or listen to the sermon of Graham Nicholls preaching on Sunday morning 4th March 2018 use the player above.. There are also some questions at the foot of this post.
Male and Female in Marriage
(Ephesians 5:21-33; 1 Peter 3:1-7)
Role of male and female confusion: suggestions that male and females are essentially the same
1. A difference in role is signalled right at the beginning (revision of Gen 1-3)
God makes male and female alike but different
2. Command to wives: submit to your husbands (Eph 5:22)
Do it as to the Lord
Do it in everything
3. Husbands love your wives (25)
Modelled on Christ’s love
With care and consideration (also 1 Peter 3:7)
1. What does our culture think about male and female differences, roles and equality? Does our culture generally accept there are any differences at all? What are those?
2. Is the principle of equality of men and women made in the image of God established at Creation along with the difference in roles? If so, what are the implications?
3. What happens are the fall to the male/female relationship after the fall? What does that mean about those who are believers, who are being remade in the image of God
4. What does it mean that the woman is called to submit? How does this connect with her faith in Christ?
5. What did it mean for the man to love honour and be considerate for his wife? How does this connect with the work of Christ in him and for him?
6. How can we get across to people that relationships worked out in this way are a beautiful thing?
Series: Ephesians (2018)